FOSS4G 2023 Prizren
From 26 June to 2 July 2023, I've attended the FOSS4G 2023 Conference in Prizren, Kosovo. It was a great event and the ideal place to touch base with the global open source geo community.
On 26 and 27 June, there were many interesting workshops. On 27 June, the IHE Delft team, consisting of PhD student Bich Tran, QGISHydro Book Fund beneficiary Suzan Dehati and myself, gave the workshop "Monitor spatial and temporal trends in agricultural water productivity with WaPOR open data".
In this workshop participants learned to:
- Describe the components of the WaPOR database,
- Acquire WaPOR data from the portal,
- Extract and analyze biophysical variables from the WaPOR database,
- Perform spatial analyzes using WaPOR data in QGIS and Python (Jupyter Notebooks),
- Interpret results for monitoring spatial and temporal trends in crop water productivity.
The materials are available for free at GIS OpenCourseWare. Below some pictures from the workshop.
Presentations and social events
The rest of the week there were lots of nice presentations, a B2B meeting, an ice-breaker event and Gala Dinner. This video, that I made for the QGIS Open Day on 30 June 2023 gives an impression of the event.
Locate Press Booth
At the Locate Press booth Kurt Menke, Bonny McClain, Suzan Dehati and I promoted books on open source software. We gave away free books during a raffle. Aman Bagrecha was one of the lucky winners!
Slides and videos
The slides of the presentations are available through the cloud service of FOSS4G 2023.
Recordings of the presentations at the main stage are available on the FLOSSK YouTube Channel.
Here's a recording of a QGIS session, with the following presentations:
- QGIS Feature Frenzy by Kurt Menke
- QGIS 3D, point cloud and elevation data by Saber Razmjooei
- Mergin Maps: A Year of Progress by Tomas Mizera and Peter Petrik
- QField News by Marco Bernasocci
It was such a joy to meet so many wonderful people of the FOSS4G community. I want to express my heartfelt gratitude to the local organising committee and volunteers for their great work and dedication. They made this event possible and unforgettable. Thank you!
Looking forward to the next FOSS4G event!